Week 37: Hero – Jeremy Corbyn

by Ray_North on September 14, 2015

hero_icon2This week’s hero of the week is the new leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn.

Things you never think you’ll see – Jeremy Corbyn elected as leader of the Labour Party.

For various reasons our blog has been quiet in recent weeks – but, all of us have been enthralled by the contest to be the leader of the Labour Party. When it started none of us gave Corbyn a prayer, indeed, I think I wrote him off suggesting that he was a token leftie and had nothing to offer. I was wrong – Corbyn may not be everyone’s cup of tea, and he may indeed be the worst thing that has ever happened to Labou – but, one thing no one can say is that he has nothing to offer.

For various reasons, Corbyn has completely transformed the complexion of left wing/centre left politics in our country. We on these pages have long railed against the slick phoney control freakery of New Labour, which produced bland career MPs, weighed down by the information fed to them from central office and focus groups – well, Corbyn has proved that being authentic can excite certain section of the electorate.

We have torn our hair out as the Labour Party have sacrificed many deeply held principles in their desire to be ‘tough on the economy’ – leading to the awful election campaign when Labour tried to be more austere than the Tories. Well, Corbyn has finally articulate many of the concerns we have had about the economic orthodoxy that has guided the economic policies of government’s since Thatcher.

We have lamented the fact that politics has stopped engaging with anyone as party membership has fallen
and people have become disengaged – well, Jeremy Corbyn managed to attract over a hundred thousand new members.

We’ve screamed as Labour has failed to articulate the fact that our society has become increasingly unequal and unfair, well, at least Jeremy Corbyn has put fairness and egalitarianism at the centre of his political narrative.

Who knows what will happen over the next few years. Who knows whether the attacks from he right and inevitable embarrassments that will come his way will prove fatal.

But, at the moment, by virtue of his vigorous campaign, his honesty and his success, he is our hero of the week.

Mike Killingworth September 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I have been agreeably surprised by his performance so far. We shall have to wait to see how his stamina holds up.

chris September 16, 2015 at 7:27 am

Well Ray week 34 Corbyn was your Prat of the week,now he is your Hero,I would suggest he is neither,he is to paraphrase Monty Python just ” a very naughty boy”he has spent years being a trouble maker in the Labour Party,
now he needs to grow up.
You seem surprised he won,I was not, hence I am now £ 1020 better off courtesy of Mr Coral and the Trade Unions and of course the utter dross that was up against Corbyn.
Jeremy Corbyn will either be the best leader the Labour Party has ever had or he will destroy it,early indications favour the latter.
Dan Jarvis is 6/1 to be the next Labour leader,suggest you all take a punt,you will get your winnings a lot sooner than you make think.

Ray_North September 16, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Chris, you’re right the fact that Corbyn has been hero and prat in the space of a couple of weeks shows the rather odd state of our politics.
And, many congratulations on your foresight – i wish I’d stuck a couple of quid on him! Can I ask what you intend to spend your winnings on?

chris September 16, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Like all gamblers probably more bets Ray.
I put £50 on Farrah Abrahams to win Big Brother at 100/1. So
sometimes foresight is replaced by stupidity.Then again I put £100
on a dog act to win Britains Got Talent at 7/1, very stupid, but it won.
I like Corbyn as a man,I hope while moving Labour to the left,he can move himself to the right,if he can do that I think the Labour Party has a bright future.

Charlie East-West September 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Dan Jarvis will be next leader of the Labour Party. I agree with you Chris.

6-1 is a reasonable punt. I will speak to Mr William Hill.

chris September 18, 2015 at 8:21 am