#403: 2011, Lana Del Rey, Video Games

by Ray_North on February 20, 2012

Earlier in the week, Jackie lamented the fact that we had yet to post a song from 2012, so I thought, right, I’ll rise to that challenge with this Lana Del Rey song – album released in January, job’s a good un – leaving me officially as the most up-to-date member of the Allthatsleft team – but, alas, after a bit of research, it transpired that the single was released in October, so Jackie’s challenge still stands.

It’s a lovely song this though, a lament from a young girl who is trying to prise her young boyfriend away from his video games. The lyrics are sweet and slightly naive whilst the music and particularly the way in which she presents the song is, by contrast, extremely sophisticated.

Sadly, when I listen to it, my emotion is one of mature appreciation – which is quite depressing, I will not play this song back in twenty years time and reflect on loves won and lost or precious new experience – it will forever remain a very nice song by a very nice artist which sadly was released in 2011 not 2012!

George_East February 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Ray, this song was the internet sensation of last year, with a gazillion hits on Youtube. It won the Guardian’s song of the year poll last year. There has even been a backlash and a backlash against the backlash about it. How on earth did you think it came out in 2012?

Ray_North February 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I confess, if a song was written after about 1996, I’m struggling!

George_East February 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm

So I’ve noticed.

But yes I agree,whatever the truth of the LdR story.

Mike Killingworth February 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ray, it really is time for you to take my introductory jazz appreciation course, isn’t it? How’s about I start you off on the guitarists?

Ray-North February 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Mike – I do confess to enjoying a bit of jazz now and again – but fear that too much enjoyment will render me immediately in need of a false hip!

Geoff Elliott February 21, 2012 at 11:01 pm

George, it’s not Ray’s fault that the gig scene in North East Wales is not quite the equal of that down here. And his Internet connection is powered by his goldfish too, so YouTube is out.

See you for a beer at Lambchop next week?

George_East February 22, 2012 at 12:22 am

Yes I’ll be there with a bloke from work. So let’s sort out a beer in advance or in the interval or both. Email me your mobile no and I’ll send you mine. Looking forward to it.

I hear what you say about Ray, but good God my 87 year old grandfather could have told you that Video Games came out last year.